The Lima Stock Exchange (Bolsa de Valores de Lima) has announced that public and private sectors are coordinating measures to prevent the reclassification of the Peruvian market from an "Emerging" to a "Frontier" class.
Maintaining its emerging market category will allow Peru to receive and manage investment flows similar to other thriving emerging countries, such as
Brazil, Chile, China,
Colombia, India and Mexico. The reclassification is a significantly negative threat to Peru's capital market and economy.
In addition to the increased perception of risk, the vote will affect the currency exchange rate and local interest rates within Peru, adversely impacting all Peruvians by reducing the value of their assets.
To reaffirm Peru as a thriving emerging market, Peru requires a joint effort between the private and public markets. In this sense, the country has made progress in recent years by improving stock market retail culture through improving education and dissemination, developing exchange-traded funds and derivatives, reducing trading fees, promoting regional integration and developing direct market access.
The Peruvian Congress also approved the Law to Support the Liquidity and Integration of the Stock Exchange, aiming to improve the dynamism of the equity capital markets in Peru. The legislation eliminates taxes on shares traded at the Lima Stock Exchange that are at minimum liquidity levels and do not involve the change in control through a significant block trade.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Bolsa de Valores de Lima ?
Next time we write about Bolsa de Valores de Lima, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Guatemalan businessman Fernando Jarquín implements vision for development
- Emiliano Salinas cuts ties with NXIVM
- Fernando Jarquin, Guatemala’s Pharmaceutical Innovator and Entrepreneur, Talks Business
- New Colombia Resources says Sannabis test was successful
- Grupo Exito aims to help support Colombia
- Codelco CEO calls for transparency, focus on production goals
- BCP offers tips on choosing master's degree program
- General Tire launches new tire for Andean market
- Latin America talks of boosting pork production, exports @CorferiasBogota
- AIR Worldwide team takes part in wind-engineering conference