Archer Daniels Midland Company, an agricultural processor, recently announced that is has joined the Andean Family Farmers partnership in order to support Bolivian quinoa smallholder farmers; furthermore, through its social investment program, called ADM Cares, the company will provide funding to support the addition of a greatly needed irrigation project in southern Bolivia.
"We're proud to partner with AFF to help improve irrigation and farming conditions for Bolivian quinoa farmers," Ken Campbell, of ADM's wild flavors and specialty ingredients business, said. "Projects like this one help ensure safe, sustainable farming practices for local farmers and also provide ADM with unique products such as quinoa to help our customers meet the growing demand for healthier ingredients and products."
Irrigation systems can double the yield of quinoa per hectare and its value to the farmer, with many improvements to the community, such as education, health and sanitation improvements. The systems also provide protection against losses due to drought.
Currently, AFF team members are working to install irrigation systems that will serve farms in five remote Bolivian communities. AFF plans be to install 10 more systems during 2015-16 in preparation for the 2016-17 crop cycle.
The cost of each system will be funded by an interest-free loan to each community against delivery of quinoa.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Andean Naturals ?
Next time we write about Andean Naturals, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Guatemalan businessman Fernando Jarquín implements vision for development
- Emiliano Salinas cuts ties with NXIVM
- Fernando Jarquin, Guatemala’s Pharmaceutical Innovator and Entrepreneur, Talks Business
- New Colombia Resources says Sannabis test was successful
- Grupo Exito aims to help support Colombia
- Codelco CEO calls for transparency, focus on production goals
- BCP offers tips on choosing master's degree program
- General Tire launches new tire for Andean market
- Latin America talks of boosting pork production, exports @CorferiasBogota
- AIR Worldwide team takes part in wind-engineering conference