Archer Daniels Midland Company, an agricultural processor, recently announced that is has joined the Andean Family Farmers partnership in order to support Bolivian quinoa smallholder farmers; furthermore, through its social investment program, called ADM Cares, the company will provide funding to support the addition of a greatly needed irrigation project in southern Bolivia.
"We're proud to partner with AFF to help improve irrigation and farming conditions for Bolivian quinoa farmers," Ken Campbell, of ADM's wild flavors and specialty ingredients business, said. "Projects like this one help ensure safe, sustainable farming practices for local farmers and also provide ADM with unique products such as quinoa to help our customers meet the growing demand for healthier ingredients and products."
Irrigation systems can double the yield of quinoa per hectare and its value to the farmer, with many improvements to the community, such as education, health and sanitation improvements. The systems also provide protection against losses due to drought.
Currently, AFF team members are working to install irrigation systems that will serve farms in five remote Bolivian communities. AFF plans be to install 10 more systems during 2015-16 in preparation for the 2016-17 crop cycle.
The cost of each system will be funded by an interest-free loan to each community against delivery of quinoa.
Organizations in this story
Andean Naturals 1200 Putman Ave Yuba City, CA 95991-7203
- Franchise Whales hopes to seed the economy by helping others
- Show support for vets, military by increasing U.S. energy independence, says Latino veteran leader
- How Pilar O’Leary Put Latino Culture on the Map
- Two Latino U.S. senators could have key roles in reforming Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Guatemalan businessman Fernando Jarquin Pira quietly makes donations to first responders and patients
- Monterrey gains TI Automotive production plant
- Nitro Quimica picks Eyefreight for logistics support in Brazil
- Pelican BioThermal expands into South America
- Brazil's Embraer signs deal to supply jets to Horizon Air
- Biocept's lung cancer blood test to become more accessible in Mexico