At an awards ceremony in London on Sept. 25, Digicel received the 2015 Ethicalcorp Responsible Business Award for its efforts to help rebuild the education system in Haiti after the devastating earthquake of 2010.
The award recognizes companies that adopt and promote responsible business practices throughout their organization, improving the lives of their customers and the communities in which they operate.
Digicel was selected as winner in the Most Effective International Community Investment category from a shortlist of eight global companies including Barclays, the Hershey Company, Primark, UPS and Vestergard.
The 2010 earthquake destroyed nearly 90 percent of the country’s infrastructure, and as a result Haiti’s educational system was on the verge of total collapse.
Through the Digicel Foundation, Digicel kick-started reconstruction efforts by increasing the number of schools it committed to build in local communities from 20 to 50. Digicel further expanded its support by building more permanent, earthquake-resistant buildings, funding teacher training courses and creating jobs throughout local communities.
Organizations in this Story
- New Colombia Resources says Sannabis test was successful
- Grupo Exito aims to help support Colombia
- Codelco CEO calls for transparency, focus on production goals
- BCP offers tips on choosing master's degree program
- General Tire launches new tire for Andean market
- Latin America talks of boosting pork production, exports @CorferiasBogota
- AIR Worldwide team takes part in wind-engineering conference
- El Salvador's Asesuisa discusses risk management, strategic direction with stakeholders
- Grupo Exito buying lettuce locally to support resocialization program
- Endo selling Mexico-based Grupo-Farmaceutico Somar