At an awards ceremony in London on Sept. 25, Digicel received the 2015 Ethicalcorp Responsible Business Award for its efforts to help rebuild the education system in Haiti after the devastating earthquake of 2010.
The award recognizes companies that adopt and promote responsible business practices throughout their organization, improving the lives of their customers and the communities in which they operate.
Digicel was selected as winner in the Most Effective International Community Investment category from a shortlist of eight global companies including Barclays, the Hershey Company, Primark, UPS and Vestergard.
The 2010 earthquake destroyed nearly 90 percent of the country’s infrastructure, and as a result Haiti’s educational system was on the verge of total collapse.
Through the Digicel Foundation, Digicel kick-started reconstruction efforts by increasing the number of schools it committed to build in local communities from 20 to 50. Digicel further expanded its support by building more permanent, earthquake-resistant buildings, funding teacher training courses and creating jobs throughout local communities.
Organizations in this story
Digicel Group Ocean Boulevard Kingston,
- Peru's Aceros Arequipa honored with 'Leadership Team Competition of Excellence – 2017'
- Codelco receives top ranking by Chile's Council for Transparency
- Davivienda customers receive promotional bonuses for use with Uber in Costa Rica
- Peru-based Enel awarded two wind power projects in Russia
- Chevrolet and Atento honored for customer service social media effort
- Scholle IPN establishing packaging facility in Santiago
- Cargill, Solidaridad, Biocosta start sustainable palm oil program in Colombia
- Internet professionals gather to discuss connectivity in Latin America, Caribbean
- S&P Down Jones Indices to handle Mexican Stock Exchange indices
- U.S. State Department official outlines situation in Venezuela