Activities in Veladero Mine in San Juan, Argentina, have been restricted, according to an announcement that Barrick Gold Corporation made after the failure of a valve on a pipe carrying cyanide solution at the leach pad; the company has since reinforced that its priority now is the safety of people and the environment.
Barrick has installed a water-monitoring program that assured there is no risk for inhabitants living in the area.
The results are reinforce other testing results released by other third parties in San Juan province, including the Public Health Department and the state water distribution company.
Furthermore, the company has implemented other preventive measures and control aiming to restart the normal operations in Veladero. Barrick is also developing a research to understand the causes of the incident.
The company does not anticipate any material impact to production at Veladero in consequence of this incident.
Organizations in this story
Barrick Gold Corporation 460 W 50 N Salt Lake City, UT 84101
- Franchise Whales hopes to seed the economy by helping others
- Show support for vets, military by increasing U.S. energy independence, says Latino veteran leader
- How Pilar O’Leary Put Latino Culture on the Map
- Two Latino U.S. senators could have key roles in reforming Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Guatemalan businessman Fernando Jarquin Pira quietly makes donations to first responders and patients
- Monterrey gains TI Automotive production plant
- Nitro Quimica picks Eyefreight for logistics support in Brazil
- Pelican BioThermal expands into South America
- Brazil's Embraer signs deal to supply jets to Horizon Air
- Biocept's lung cancer blood test to become more accessible in Mexico