NII Holdings has announced a strategic alliance with Grupo Clarin in Argentina.
Grupo Clarin acquired a 49 percent equity interest in Nextel Argentina for total consideration of $178 million, of which $159 million was paid up front, with the remaining amount due within 30 days. The company still has the option to acquire the remaining 51 percent.
The net proceeds received from the transaction will be used to provide additional liquidity to support NII's operations in Brazil.
"The transaction with Grupo Clarin creates a promising path for the future of Nextel Argentina and its employees to compete effectively in the mobile market in Argentina," NII CEO Steve Shindler said. "At the same time, it is consistent with our strategy to concentrate our resources on our operations in Brazil and provides incremental capital to improve our liquidity to support our business there."
Nextel Argentina will continue to be controlled and operated by NII, pending the receipt of the necessary regulatory approvals.
Organizations in this story
NII Holdings Inc. 1875 Explorer St Reston, VA 20190
- Franchise Whales hopes to seed the economy by helping others
- Show support for vets, military by increasing U.S. energy independence, says Latino veteran leader
- How Pilar O’Leary Put Latino Culture on the Map
- Two Latino U.S. senators could have key roles in reforming Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Guatemalan businessman Fernando Jarquin Pira quietly makes donations to first responders and patients
- Monterrey gains TI Automotive production plant
- Nitro Quimica picks Eyefreight for logistics support in Brazil
- Pelican BioThermal expands into South America
- Brazil's Embraer signs deal to supply jets to Horizon Air
- Biocept's lung cancer blood test to become more accessible in Mexico