South America will invest $38.1 billion in modernizing the region’s power infrastructure from 2015 to 2025, according to a new study published on Monday by Northeast Group LLC.
The region's power sector is troubled by electricity theft, poor reliability and operational inefficiencies. Now, utilities in South America are looking to smart grid infrastructure to solve these problems and large-scale deployments are already underway.
"Brazil is by far the largest market in the region for smart grid investment," Ben Gardner, president of Northeast Group, said. "After several false starts, the country is now beginning large-scale deployments. In just the past year, Brazilian utilities have announced deployments of over 3m smart meters and will invest $25.6bn over the next 10 years.”
According to the study, utilities in the region view smart metering as the most effective tool for combating rampant electricity theft. Approximately nine percent of South America's electricity is stolen, with some service territories' theft rates exceeding 30 percent. Smart grid infrastructure will also help the region to incorporate vast renewable energy potential by helping to manage the intermittency of these resources.
“Beyond Brazil, countries such as Colombia, Ecuador, Chile and Argentina are serious about grid modernization and planning significant investment,” Gardner said. “In total, South America will invest $22.6bn in smart metering, $7.2bn in distribution automation and $8.3bn in other smart grid market segments over the forecast period."
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Northeast Group LLC ?
Next time we write about Northeast Group LLC, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- New Colombia Resources says Sannabis test was successful
- Grupo Exito aims to help support Colombia
- Codelco CEO calls for transparency, focus on production goals
- BCP offers tips on choosing master's degree program
- General Tire launches new tire for Andean market
- Latin America talks of boosting pork production, exports @CorferiasBogota
- AIR Worldwide team takes part in wind-engineering conference
- El Salvador's Asesuisa discusses risk management, strategic direction with stakeholders
- Grupo Exito buying lettuce locally to support resocialization program
- Endo selling Mexico-based Grupo-Farmaceutico Somar