The United States officially opened a new Office of Naval Research (ONR) Global office in Sao Paulo, Brazil on July 24.
ONR Global provides international science and technology (S&T) solutions for current and future naval challenges around the world.
“The opening of the Sao Paulo office reflects the strong, longstanding S&T relationships ONR has with the international community,” Chief of Naval Research Rear Adm. Mat Winter said. “This office will serve as a regional hub for collaboration with researchers across South America to share discovery and invention, which are the lifeblood of scientific advancement.”
The new office will work with ONR Global's existing office in Santiago, Chile to coordinate activities across South America.
“The opening of a new office in the largest country in South America is an important development, emphasizing that breakthrough science and technology capabilities generally come about only through collaboration and partnerships,” ONR Global's commanding officer Capt. Clark Troyer said. “Those who follow S&T from a naval perspective recognize that Brazil is significant both in its impressive academic and research communities, as well as the wealth of opportunities to conduct research in unique ecological settings.”
Recent collaborative research between South American and U.S. scientists includes academic gatherings in the fields of alternative energy, underwater acoustics, augmented reality, as well as research projects on topics ranging from flood prediction to marine genomics.
Organizations in this story
Office of Naval Research 875 N Randolph St Arlington, VA 22203
- Kurosu & Cía hosts John Deere fair
- Peru's Aceros Arequipa honored with 'Leadership Team Competition of Excellence – 2017'
- Codelco receives top ranking by Chile's Council for Transparency
- Davivienda customers receive promotional bonuses for use with Uber in Costa Rica
- Peru-based Enel awarded two wind power projects in Russia
- Chevrolet and Atento honored for customer service social media effort
- Scholle IPN establishing packaging facility in Santiago
- Cargill, Solidaridad, Biocosta start sustainable palm oil program in Colombia
- Internet professionals gather to discuss connectivity in Latin America, Caribbean
- S&P Down Jones Indices to handle Mexican Stock Exchange indices