Inter-city trains in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil are using polycarbonate sheeting for the first time on side luggage racks and seat window shields, providing security while simultaneously enhancing design.
The Brazilian Ministry of Transport signed an agreement with CNR Changchun Railway Vehicles Co. Ltd for 100 series EMU trains to be delivered from through August. This is the first project where China Rail Transit Corp. has used enhanced polycarbonate sheets for train windows, doors, luggage racks and seat window screens.
Polycarbonate sheeting can reduce a train's weight and enable it to use less energy, resulting in a smaller environmental impact. Lightweight polycarbonate sheeting, such as Makrolon TG polycarbonate sheet from Bayer Material Science, offers exemplary optical transparency and high shock, breakage and explosion resistance. This combination of properties allows polycarbonate sheeting to be used to create high-quality, durable rail cars.
"This project was a result of the successful collaboration of many parties,” Holly Lei, senior vice president of Bayer China, said. "The global experience of the Bayer rail transit team combined with the material expertise of Bayer resulted in a full technical exchange with CNR Changchun Railway Vehicles Co. Ltd and proactive cooperation in sample manufacturing and delivering test reports. This led to the successful implementation of Bayer polycarbonate into this project."
Organizations in this story
Bayer Material Science LLC 1111 O Neill Drive Hebron, Kentucky - 43025
- New Colombia Resources says Sannabis test was successful
- Grupo Exito aims to help support Colombia
- Codelco CEO calls for transparency, focus on production goals
- BCP offers tips on choosing master's degree program
- General Tire launches new tire for Andean market
- Latin America talks of boosting pork production, exports @CorferiasBogota
- AIR Worldwide team takes part in wind-engineering conference
- El Salvador's Asesuisa discusses risk management, strategic direction with stakeholders
- Grupo Exito buying lettuce locally to support resocialization program
- Endo selling Mexico-based Grupo-Farmaceutico Somar